first recipe "APA"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunkerton

Reaction score
My Apa

Recipe specifics:

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.5 gal
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.016
Bitterness (IBU): 50.3
Color (SRM): 13.0
ABV: 6.4%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Two-row (US), 39.0%
3.00 lb Light DME, 29.3%
1.25 lb Honey Malt (Canadian), 12.2%
1.00 lb Crystal 40L, 9.8%
1.00 lb Victory Malt, 9.8%

Hops:

0.75 oz Magnum (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 31.2 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) 30 min, 8.8 IBU
0.50 oz Magnum (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 15 min, 10.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) dry hop

Yeast/Misc:

American Ale yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast
Irish Moss, 1.0 unit(s), Fining , boil 15 min

Does this look like it would work. And what temp should I sparge graıns at

Recipe looks good. Not sure you would want to use the Magnum at 15 minutes. Magnum is a great bittering hops, but not well known as a flavor/aroma hop. I would remove it or add something like chinook or Amarillo closer to the 5 minute mark. Your sparge temp should be 170-175 F. Should be a good APA though.

I would tone down the crystal malt, 2.25lbs will make it a bit too sweet. I wouldn't go over 1.5lbs

like jake mentioned, the magnum is a lil odd, but nothing wrong with that if you want to try it (SN uses it late in Torpedo afterall). i'd move your 30min add to 15 and your 15 to 0 to maximize flavor/aroma. 30mins is kinda a useless add

jakegreen58 said:
Recipe looks good. Not sure you would want to use the Magnum at 15 minutes. Magnum is a great bittering hops, but not well known as a flavor/aroma hop. I would remove it or add something like chinook or Amarillo closer to the 5 minute mark. Your sparge temp should be 170-175 F. Should be a good APA though.

Or Citra..Citra and cascade equals great beer

Or Citra..Citra and cascade equals great beer

I second the Citra. I've made numerous beers using Citra hops exclusively. It's excellent for bittering, flavoring, and aroma. It's the renaissance man hop, it just does everything.

It also tastes and smells amazing!

I'd change the recipe slightly. I'd skip using the cascade at 30 minutes, and use it at 15 and late additions (and dryhop if you'd like). I don't like the flavor of magnum much, but it makes a great bittering hop, so I'd use it for bittering only.

For the malt bill, that looks terribly sweet to me. I'd cut the crystal and the honey malt, and consider reducing the victory malt so it's not as dry in the mouthfeel from the "toasty biscuit" flavor of the victory malt.

I'd probably go with something more like this:

4.00 lb Two-row (US),
3.00 lb Light DME,
.5 lb Honey Malt (Canadian),
.5 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Victory Malt

Hops:

1 oz Magnum 60 min
.5 oz cascade 15 minutes
.5 oz cascade 5 minutes
Dryhop with cascades if desired

Yooper said:
I'd change the recipe slightly. I'd skip using the cascade at 30 minutes, and use it at 15 and late additions (and dryhop if you'd like). I don't like the flavor of magnum much, but it makes a great bittering hop, so I'd use it for bittering only.

For the malt bill, that looks terribly sweet to me. I'd cut the crystal and the honey malt, and consider reducing the victory malt so it's not as dry in the mouthfeel from the "toasty biscuit" flavor of the victory malt.

I'd probably go with something more like this:

4.00 lb Two-row (US),
3.00 lb Light DME,
.5 lb Honey Malt (Canadian),
.5 lb Crystal 40L
.5 lb Victory Malt

Hops:

1 oz Magnum 60 min
.5 oz cascade 15 minutes
.5 oz cascade 5 minutes
Dryhop with cascades if desired

Thank you, I will try this one next brew and see what ut taste like next to one another.

Latest posts

Back