Cheap Digital Scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchizoFilly

Reaction score
I have found a few scales around at different places. Thought I would see who can chime in here with an opinion as to what you've used and would recommend. Mostly going to be used for weighing hops and specialty grains so it doesn't need to hold a lot of weight.

American Weigh

I picked up a tare-able 11 pound Digital Kitchen scale. Resolution of 0.1 Ounce switchable between Pounds and Grams. $20 Including shipping on a sale. The bowl that comes with it is perfect too.

I use My Weigh 7001DX which works well as long as you have fresh batteries or using an ac adapter. It is always good to have a test weight of known quantities to check your scale, but hops weighing is not life or death mission critical - or is it?

I used a Taylor that I picked up at Target for ~ $25. It will weigh in oz, lb, and grams up to 13 lbs.

It also has a "tare" function to rezero after putting a vessel on it. nice.

I have a slightly different model of Taylor, that was closed out for 15.00 from Target, I think when they were replacing them with this..

Basically if you are doing small measuring and digi kitchen scale under 30 bucks, heck under 20 will do. All of them have (or should have a tare function) to zero out your container...

The biggest thing is that it has both ounces and grams, often I have found that it is easier to measure hops in grams rather than ounces, especially if you are doing any small batch or experimental brewing, where there is only a tiny about of hops and they don't "round off" in the ounce measurement that well....

On the Taylor option from Target: does this have an AC adapter included, and can it use one if it is not included?

I just got an Escali scale from Midwest Supplies.
It was their cheapest digital. Takes 2 AA batteries. Does a good job, tareable, Goes up to 11# (although, I don't have a bowl big enough for 11# of grain), accurate to 1 gram. It has three display settings, pounds and ounces, ounces with 2 decimals (.04 oz resolution), and grams. I buy all my hops by the pound now and it's really awesome when measuring spices 'cause I can buy the big bags at the hispanic store for cheap.

I also saw the Escali Primo recommended in another thread, but also saw that it was battery operated. Does this scale have an AC adapter?

I'm a proud owner of a WeightMax W-2822 that's rated to 35 pounds for my grain weighing. Weighs in Kg, g, lb, and oz. Also comes with a battery backup power cube. I paid $13 for it on ebay last year. For hops wanting a smaller more accurace measurements I purchased a ProScale 600 Luxe that has a capacity of 600 grams, accuracy: 0.1g. measures in grams, ounces, grains and penneyweight. I paid $11 for it also on ebay last year. With the wide range of weight measuring no one scale can do it all unless it is was a big dollar lab scale that would be far beyond the average homebrewers budget unless you worked for a lab. This combination works great for me without breaking the bank and is very handy. As I said above, get two scales as they are not expensive and you will be glad when you use them later.

Back