Brett and Oxygenation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
(Posted at BBB as well, in case anyone saw it there too. ;))

I'll be brewing a saison with ECY's Farmhouse Brett tomorrow. I just wanted to make sure that my oxygenation step (1 minute with pure O2 before pitching) should remain the same, considering the addition of the Brettanomyces along with the Sacch in primary.

Will the Sacchromyces consume most of the oxygen before the Brett gets a chance? I'm thinking that transferring to a secondary once primary fermentation is slowing will reintroduce enough oxygen for the Brett. Does the Brettanomyces need any additional oxygen aside from what's being picked up in the transfer?

Thanks for any advice!

I am replying from memory. I believe I remember reading in Wild Brews. You want limited O2 for Brett. If you give it too much too early you will get a growth of Acetic Acid (vinegar). Some is acceptable, too much and you get fish n' chips.

Brett needs micro-oxygenation throughout its fermentation to really flourish. That is where the wooden furniture leg in the top of the carboy comes in. You would not want to give your wort a big blast of O2 unless that Farmhouse Brett is a blend with yeast.

Brett needs micro-oxygenation throughout its fermentation to really flourish. That is where the wooden furniture leg in the top of the carboy comes in. You would not want to give your wort a big blast of O2 unless that Farmhouse Brett is a blend with yeast.
Brett IS a yeast.

The Farmhouse Brett is in fact a blend of several sacchromyces strains and a Brett strain. So the sacchromyces are going to need the O2 in the beginning.

I'm leaning towards the fact that the O2 picked up during transfer will be enough.

Latest posts

Back