Full Grain to Partial Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a proven, reliable formula for converting a recipe from full grain to partial?

Generally, 1 pound two-row = .75 pound pale LME = .6 pound light DME. Keep all of the specialty grains the same.

So, for 10 pounds of base grain you could do:

5 pounds of grain and 3 pounds DME or
5 pounds of grain and 3.75 pounds LME or
6 pounds DME or
7.5 pounds LME or
2 pounds of grain and 4.8 pounds DME

and so on.

The rule of thumb is helpful. I am new to beersmith and poked around a bit to see how to get it to make a conversion from a full grain to partial but could not find it. My space constraints do not let me go for a full grain. I see all these wonderful all grain options out there. The brew shops that do kits have very limited partial mash (and most other than Northern Brewers are just a little bit more than a specialty grain. I have done six - seven batches and want to branch out.

If someone has a link or quick pointers for how to work with beersmith to make a conversion to a "real" partial (@4 to 7 pounds of grain), would appreciate the help. Thanks!.

Looked some more and saw the more detailed posts and how to get this started on beersmith. Sorry for running so soon to others with a post for help!

This is only for your base grains, (those that MUST be mashed)

Grain to LME: lbs grain x .75 = lbs LME
Grain to DME: lbs grain x .6 = lbs DME
LME to Grain: lbs LME / .75 = lbs Grain
DME to Grain: lbs DME / .6 = lbs Grain
LME to DME: lbs LME x .8 = lbs DME
DME to LME: lbs DME x 1.25 = lbs LME

Back