I am thinking of brewing an American Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Cat

Reaction score
I am thinking of brewing an American Blonde Ale this weekend but I am wondering instead of using rice flakes can I just use priming sugar ???

Sugar (priming or table) will dry out the beer. It is often used for this purpose in Belgian or some higher gravity beers where brewers want to increase the 'drinkability' of the beer by making it more dry. Are you doing extract or all-grain? If you are doing all-grain, you can add Minute Rice to your grain bill instead of flaked rice, it is pre-gelatinized (I think that's the term) and ready to go for the mash. Or you can cook regular rice and then add it to the mash.

Good luck with your brew!

Im using extracts,
To be exact this is what I have:
Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
Briess 3.3 lbs Golden Light LME
Hallertau pellets
Nottingham dry yeast
Gambrinus Honey Malt grain
Crystal 10 Lovibond Grain

I have brewed many American wheat but wife wants something lighter and prettier (her words lol) which is why i thought of the American Blonde

Here's a good, straightforward Blonde Ale recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/jamils-blonde-ale-35824/ Its all-grain, but read through the thread and you'll see a conversion for extract. Feel free to use your Hallertauer instead of the recipe's Fuggles. Steep your Crystal 10. You'll need to get more light extract, about double what you have. Don't use the wheat extract, of course.

Latest posts

Back