newbie hard cider experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krecneps

Reaction score
i'm new to the homebrew realm.
back in late october, i decided to try a batch of hard cider using pre-bottled organic apple cider [no preservatives/additives].
i heated the juice, pitched a lalvin yeast with some nutrients in a 1 gal. jug and let it ferment for nearly 2 weeks, until it read 1.000 [which was around 8% abv, i believe]
i then racked into a new 1 gallon jug and let it sit.
well, here it is almost 2 months later. i guess i didnt realize it had been so long.
tonight i moved the contents into 2 smaller jugs.
upon sampling, there is sort of a strange, unappealing, dry bland funky flavor. and a little harsh alcohol taste. if swallowed immediately, it's not very noticeable, but if it's rolled around on the pallet for a few seconds, it's pretty apparent. i'm no expert by any means, but it's obvious to me that it's not a great batch.
just wondering if maybe i aged it for too long, because when i first racked it i dont think it was this funky.
or, could it be the juice i used, or maybe the lalvin d47. or both?
or, should i have stopped the ferment before it reached that alcohol level?
any input would be awesome.
thanks everyone!
spencer.

Put it in a dark, cool corner for a year, and it should mellow right out. i made a cider last year, and what you're describing is giving me a flashback. after 3 months i was ready to toss it, but i didn't need the jug for anything, so i let it be. We cracked it open tonight for the new year's celebration and it was smooth as glass.

(this is assuming it doesn't go sour. But if it does, it can't get any worse than it is now, right?)

Latest posts

Back