Partial Mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgenius

Reaction score
I'm doing my first partial mash today and I have a quick question. I've heard that it is recommended that your mash be made up of around 50% 2-row pale malt to promote good enzyme activity, but since I'm using Light DME instead of pale malt in my recipe (and have no pale malt in my mash) am I going to run into mashing problems?

Cheers! :mug:

That looks like more of a specialty grain bill for a steeping recipe - in order to be a partial mash you'd need to add some base grain (the 2-row pale malt). Without that you're not mashing anything, you're just steeping the specialty grains.

If you want to do a partial mash, you'll need to add a couple of pounds of 2 row pale malt and remove 1-1.25 lbs of the DME. Aromatic malt has some enzymes but generally you need the high enzymatic power of the 2-row to help convert malts that don't have their own (the dextrine for instance)

Thanks, you just saved my beer. I'm running to the homebrew shop now for some 2-row.

Cheers! :mug:

Is single temperature infusion an ok method for the grains I have?

(The mash consists of 2-row pale, crystal 20L, aromatic, dextrine, peat smoked, and chocolate malts.)

Latest posts

Back