Mash absorption

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would start with an absorbtion rate of .15 gallons/pound of grain to begin with. It all depends on your system and how you're crushing your grain though. .15 is average.

I have a total capacity of 5.5 gallon. I assume that if I start with 4-5 gallons strike water and add my 12 lbs of grain slowly while stirring them in, will I exceed my pot capacity?

My last batch I used an initial 3-4 gallons, and then sparged about 2 gallons for total of 5 gallons. This was a BIAB. I then also added 1 gallon to fermenter. Would this wash out my efficiency or ABV. Or am I better off just making 5 gallon batches until I can get a bigger pot?

when it states in your calculator link that 12 lbs grain will take at 1.25 thickness 4.71 gallons of space.....that is total? Sorry if I'm asking a not so smart question.

Yep. Used this calculator last week for my first AG and it worked like a charm. For your 12lbs of grain, qts/lb of 1.25(average), TOTAL space used is 4.74gal making a 20qt(5gal) mash kettle/vessel ideal(minimal headspace equals better temp retention during mash)

Oh, seek out Deathbrewer's stickies for BIAB/AG BIAB in the Beginner section.

Will depend on grain weight if you BIAB. Since I almost never go over 5 lbs nor less than 3.5 lbs my loss seems to be only 0.0625 gallons/lb. With that small amount of grain I can really press most of the water out after the mash. I set up a spread sheet and kept track for 5 or 6 brews.

Back