Adding spices to a batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papac6

Reaction score
Hello, my name is AC me and my wife are new to home brewing we just made our first batch getting ready to crack the first bottle this weekend. We made a second batch at a local homebrew shop called bev art in the Beverly neighborhood in Chicago. The second batch is a brown ale and we want to make it holiday style with cinnamon and vanilla beans want to know how to make a spice tea and do you taste as your making it or just hope for the best. We appreciate any feed back
Thanks
Here's to good beers and good times
Ac

Simmer cracked cinnamon sticks, split/scraped vanilla beans, a couple strips each of orange and lemon peel, and any other spices in a small volume of water for 10 minutes. The final flavor should be quite intense since it will be diluted in a much larger volume of wort. Afterward, strain, cool, and pitch the concentrated spice tea after primary fermentation is complete.

What I tend to do for spices, is find other recipes around here and elsewhere on the internet, see how much of the same spices they use, and what they say it tasted/smelled like. I then try to think of the difference in my beer to theirs, and what effect I want from the spices, and figure out an amount.
If you find a holiday brown ale recipe somewhere, see what spices they put, and so long as your stats are similar with the base ale (final volume, OG, FG, SRM, GU:BU), you can use the exact same spicing for the exact same effect. Since you are new, you could just give it a shot without worrying too much about the similarities, and just use whatever spice you have in the same amounts as they did.

A good example is a gingerbread quad I just brewed. The recipe I used gave a recommended amount of ginger,cinnamon,cloves,allspice mix, and described a strong ginger cookie similarity as a result. I wanted to subdue the spice just a tad, so I made the spice mix, and used 75% of the total.

Hope that helps!

NuclearRich said:
What I tend to do for spices, is find other recipes around here and elsewhere on the internet, see how much of the same spices they use, and what they say it tasted/smelled like. I then try to think of the difference in my beer to theirs, and what effect I want from the spices, and figure out an amount.
If you find a holiday brown ale recipe somewhere, see what spices they put, and so long as your stats are similar with the base ale (final volume, OG, FG, SRM, GU:BU), you can use the exact same spicing for the exact same effect. Since you are new, you could just give it a shot without worrying too much about the similarities, and just use whatever spice you have in the same amounts as they did.

A good example is a gingerbread quad I just brewed. The recipe I used gave a recommended amount of ginger,cinnamon,cloves,allspice mix, and described a strong ginger cookie similarity as a result. I wanted to subdue the spice just a tad, so I made the spice mix, and used 75% of the total.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the advice

Back