Wyeast Kolsch 2575 is an animal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fresh pouch, starter went crazy. When a yeast is described as a "true top-fermenter", expect monster krausen.

I got huge krausen on the fermenters and in the starter flask, even with the stir plate going.

I saved a bunch of yeast from the previous batch, then accidentally froze it SOLID. After thawing, I put it in the flask with some sugar and thar she blows. 1 day later it was a giant sticky krausen, and another day later it clearly is going to sit there like meringue.

BTW, the kolsh was dynamite. 1 keg left. I'm brewing a light summer wheat with this yeast now.

2012-03-19_at_21_14_48.jpg

2565 right? This is one of my favorite yeasts too. Along with Bells and Trappist High Gravity. The kolsch can taste almost lager like with fermentations at 57, just right at 59, and a nice vinous taste at 62. Versatile yeast.

Hmmm, not sure what I pitched now. 2565 is probably right, but I think they have a 2575 Kolsch II. I don't have the pouch anymore, so now I'm wondering.

Oh well, it's easy to propagate, I'll have this around for a while.

Agreed - I just used that yeast in a wheat pale. 8"+ of krausen within 24 hours, holy smokes, and that's with a healthy dose of fermcap.

How long does the krausen typically stick around with this yeast?

Looking it up now, I do see WYeast had a Kolsch II available from spring 2008. Was that what you pitched? Maybe they just reintroduced it.

After 2 1/2 weeks, the krausen had not fallen on my first Kolsch. I did the same thing and stirred it in prior to crashing. My second Kolsch had no krausen after 2 weeks of fermenting and a 3 day diacetyl rest. Maybe the warmer temps helped it drop, I dunno.

Looking it up now, I do see WYeast had a Kolsch II available from spring 2008. Was that what you pitched? Maybe they just reintroduced it.

After 2 1/2 weeks, the krausen had not fallen on my first Kolsch. I did the same thing and stirred it in prior to crashing. My second Kolsch had no krausen after 2 weeks of fermenting and a 3 day diacetyl rest. Maybe the warmer temps helped it drop, I dunno.

I think it was 2565.

I picked the up 2575 PC Kolsch II yeast in 2010 I think it was, and have kept it going ever since. By far one of the best beers I make. That yeast is fabulous and hearty. My guess is it will come out again this year, I highly recommend picking it up and trying it out. I have never used 2565 to compare, so I can't say how they are different. Planning to do that this summer and I'll give a full report. Also, I have been playing with different ferms temps, dropping it a few degrees each time around. This time I am working on 58-59 and hoping that it turns out to be the best. Still getting bubbles in primary after almost 3 weeks ... beast!

I made a kolsch with 2565 back in June of 2009 and fermented it in the mid 70's. The first few months in the bottle it was decent. A little bit spicy and had a rough alcohol astringency I attributed to the 150 degree mash for 90 minutes (I always mash for 90m with >10% wheat on the bill). Overshot my OG by about .008 and undershot my FG by .004 (OG was 1.060, FG was 1.007) It's an attenuation champ.

Well I went home to visit the parents this past January and they still had a case of that kolsch in the garage. Chilled it down and poured. Crystal clear. Maybe one of the best and most authentic beers I've made. It now tastes crisp and malty like I wanted it to be originally with just enough subtle hop bite from the perle/saaz to make it interesting.

TriangleIL,

Now I wish I could try the 2575 KII. I'd pick some up, but its not available. If only you lived around MN, we could swap yeast.

...(OG was 1.060, FG was 1.007) It's an attenuation champ.

Awesome. I'm using it in a wheat pale and I want a crisp, dry finish. I'm dry-hopping though, so I don't think I'll "age" it for 3 years like you did ;)

Latest posts

Back