Stc-1000 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyG

It's beer30!!!
Reaction score
I want to use the stc1000 for a small fridge to ferment and bottle age. Now the questions:

Should the temp probe be placed in water to show an accurate temp?

Is the probe waterproof ?

I have the same equipment and question as you. If the probe is waterproof, it would be a good idea to have it in water so that the temps are steady and don't needlessly kick on when you open the door for a moment.

i hope it's waterproof as i have stuck mine into a jar of water on many occasions! still working fine.

I try to get mine as close to the vessel as possible. When fermenting, I sandwich it between a small piece of bubble wrap and the ale pail with a piece of tape. The bubble wrap insulates it from the ambient air, forcing it to pick up on the temp of the ale pail (and fermenting beer insdie). This gives it a better ability to control the fermentation temperature which is what you care about anyway (active fermentation creates heat you want to dissipate). For bottle aging, I do the same thing, just with a bottle of the beer.

The stc-1000 is marketed as an aquarium temperature controller, so yes it is "waterproof". It also states as such in the manual if I recall correctly.

I use the same solution webby45wr uses: wrapped in a small piece of polystyrene/ styrofoam (only one side) then applied to the fermenter with a small piece of adhesive tape. In this way you attenuate the thermal inertia

1) Yes, it is waterproof. I keep the one in my keezer in a jar of water to buffer the temp readings.

2) When used in a fermenter, you want to measure the temp of the beer, not the air. Tape it directly to the side of the bucket/carboy, cover it with bubble wrap or something to insulate it and you'll be good.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. One more question, can the unit be used in F• not Celsius.

Back