please clarify some contradiction regarding finings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdp

Reaction score
the other part of california. Pines, not palms
After searching the archives, I have found that I should wait anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks for the gelatin to do its job.

I added finings to the corny keg two days ago, It has been kept in the kegerator for a few weeks, so it has been cold the whole time. I have been without homebrew for weeks now and would rather not wait longer than I have to, my patience is wearing thin. I was thinking of just trying it, but when I was cooking the gelatin, it smelled pretty rank and I don't want to get a mouthfull of that taste.

When you say cooked you mean heated to say 170° because if you boiled it it wont do anything for the beer . What type did you use I have never experienced a odor when I heat the Knox unflavored gelatin.

I don't add it the carny that I am going to serve in . I add it to the primary during my cold crash then rack to a keg.

Cooking the gelatin??? If you heated it past 180F, you didn't do it right. You just need to heat it up enough so it all dissolves.

I add gelatin to the keg, let it sit for a few days and pull off a pint. The first pint will always be yeasty since all of that crap has collected at the bottom. 2 weeks in the fridge is definately enough to clear a beer, esp if you used gelatin.

I never got any smell from gelatin. If you put it in the keg you'll get a pint or so of sludge at first. I don't know what you'll get if you "cooked" it.

Cooking the gelatin??? If you heated it past 180F, you didn't do it right. You just need to heat it up enough so it all dissolves.

I add gelatin to the keg, let it sit for a few days and pull off a pint. The first pint will always be yeasty since all of that crap has collected at the bottom. 2 weeks in the fridge is definately enough to clear a beer, esp if you used gelatin.

I boiled the water, let it cool, dumped the gelatin in, waited a few minutes, then heated on low while stirring to get it all disolved. The temp never got to 180.

I poured one pint, then dumped it. The second pint is the one I just described

When you say cooked you mean heated to say 170° because if you boiled it it wont do anything for the beer . What type did you use I have never experienced a odor when I heat the Knox unflavored gelatin.

I don't add it the carny that I am going to serve in . I add it to the primary during my cold crash then rack to a keg.

I don't know why, but I smell all kinds of crap that no one else does. Sometimes it is a good thing, most of the time not so much!

Back