Where to find motor for Barley Crusher???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I had plans to purchase a motor from www.surpluscenter.com this month, though just found out they no longer carry the model popular among those motorizing their mills. I've seen a lot of references to the "Beefy Bodine," but can't seem to find one to buy anywhere. I'm at a loss now and would sincerely appreciate any recommendations! Hell, if you've a motor you're looking to get rid of, PM me... I'm very interested!

Cheers,

BS

I know this probly doesn't help you but i've never seen a motor for the mills. I've seen just about everyone using a cordless drill to crank them

someone on here used a low gear high torque drill from harbor freight. He stripped it down to basically the motor. Other than that find a scrap yard (metal scrap) and they get hundreds of motors a week. You will just have to rummage through them to find a good one.

I've found good deals on motors on ebay. I picked up a reversible 1/2HP for $20, and a non-reversible for $10. ($20 shipping on both). Sometimes you have to be patient, some motors for for hundreds but there are often deals to be found.

I had plans to purchase a motor from www.surpluscenter.com this month, though just found out they no longer carry the model popular among those motorizing their mills. I've seen a lot of references to the "Beefy Bodine," but can't seem to find one to buy anywhere. I'm at a loss now and would sincerely appreciate any recommendations! Hell, if you've a motor you're looking to get rid of, PM me... I'm very interested!

Cheers,

BS

Maybe this could help you somehow...

I've just seen there is only one left on the ebay offer.

Wow, that's too bad. I have always thought I'd pick up one of the motors from Surplus Center when I got around to it. Sorry to see that the "generic" one is no longer in stock.

I was poking around though and found this one:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-990-C&catname=electric

It's a little slower than most people shoot for, but it has a good deal of torque. It might be a winner.

^ thats a good idea. maybe even buy a really old dryer off craigslist for free or really cheap and just take the motor off of it, then swing my a scrap yard and drop off the rest of the dryer.

Using a drill currently... pain in my arse.

Out dryer is brand new, and expensive.

Thanks for the eBay link, but I preferred the $35 price ;)

That 72 hp seems a tad too slow.

Any other ideas?

someone on here used a low gear high torque drill from harbor freight. He stripped it down to basically the motor. Other than that find a scrap yard (metal scrap) and they get hundreds of motors a week. You will just have to rummage through them to find a good one.

I bought this one also, 500 rpm high torque. Has a dial for rpms but I added an external router control.

devilbrewer75 said:
I bought this one also, 500 rpm high torque. Has a dial for rpms but I added an external router control.

Could you PM me more info on your build?

My grain mill is currently under construction. Rollers knurled, main frame built, still lots of the parts need final machining and assembly. With my tools and machines in the garage and freezing temperatures here, I'll be waiting at least few weeks to continue on the project. Anyhow, I plan to use a motor I pulled from a food processor. Probably in the 1/3-1/2HP range, it's a decent speed (not 1100/1700rpm), has a built in on/off/pulse switch and power cord etc... I think the $60-$80 food processor was on sale for $29. Thankfully it jammed on us a few weeks after we bought it, the main worm gear was completely stripped, so I salvaged the motor without ever knowing what I'd use it for. Thanks to Chinese manufacturing, you may be able to find a suitable motor fully equipped for less or a comparable price to buying one from a surplus center or ebay, etc..

I've been in the same boat. I have a 1/2" drill which is extremely hard to control the speed on. Way too easy to blow through the grain with a minute change of the trigger. I've been looking everywhere for a gear drive motor that would be slow enough. However.. I did just get a sale flyer via email and this guy was in there. It's variable speed, and you could just remove the attachments and stones. 30.00 on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/bench-grinder-with-flex-shaft-43533.html

Would this have enough HP however?

Latest posts

Back