Starsan foam prevents me from knowing keg fill level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanHolton

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find anything...

I may have over filled a keg for the first time. I sadly had to leave about a pint behind in the fermenter as well. I sanitize my kegs with starsan, but the foam keeps me from knowing where the liquid level is. What do you guys do to prevent this?

Overfilling is only really a problem if you attach the gas line without any pressure in it and it sucks back some beer into it. It can ruin your gauge and gum up your QD and lines.

Yes, you can overfill and have beer backup into the regulator. I switched over to Sani-clean just for filling kegs.

-Joe

AS it fills, I scoop out the foam when it gets close to the top. Since the foam is an active sanitizer as well, there really is no chance of infection.

Hmm. Thanks guys! I think at this point I have 2 options:

1) I could wait for the 30 psi I shot in there (to seat the lid) to absorb into the beer and then attach the gas line with 10-12 psi to finish carbing. This way there's more pressure going into the keg than coming out and I won't get any in the line. Would this work?

2) Attach my bev line and pour off a couple pints. Attach gas line afterward and proceed with carbing as normal. The only thing with this is I usually don't carb with the bev line attached and it would be kind of a pain to remove it and clean it and reattach it later. I guess it would teach me not to do this again...

What is the best course of action? I'd rather do number one, but if there's some problem with that scenario that I haven't noticed, I'd rather learn about it now than after I go ahead and do it.

Thanks again!

You could fill it through the liquid out post with the lid on and a open QD on the gas post. Stop when beer comes out, sanitize gas post and push out half a cup. Or you could put marks on your fermentor so you know exactly how much you're putting in.

Back