Jamil's recipes and late hop IBU's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeer95648

Reaction score
Just a quick question in reference to Brewing Classic Styles. The recipes in the book list out each IBU contribution from individual additions. But, at the 0 min additions it indicates that there is no bitterness contribution. I assume these recipes are written for the brewer who either cools using an immersion chiller or a modified version such as Jamil's whirlpool chiller? Maybe I missed it in the book, but since I whirlpool and rest for 20 minutes before chilling with a counter flow chiller I assume I am going to have to adjust the hop schedule to account for the bitterness I pick up in the whirlpool stand when making 0 min additions such as his West Coast Blaster. Does anyone know if this is in fact the way the recipes are set up?

From listening to a lot of his podcasts I can tell you that you are correct in your assumption - the BCS recipes are for those who are not using a whirlpool. In some of his Can You Brew It recipes a whirpool is used w/ flameout hops and it is advised that if you are not using a whirlpool to move those additions back 15 or 20 minutes (e.g. 2 oz Cascade at 0 mins with a 20 minute whirlpool = 2 oz Cascade at 20 minutes with no whirlpool). Long story short, if you are using a whirlpool and want to brew BCS recipes you will have to adjust the times of your hop additions to compensate for the isomerization that occurs in the whirlpool, hope this helps

Thanks for the confirmation, I appreciate it. I guess Ill have to move some stuff around.

So following this idea If i was planning on adding at 10-5-0 w/ a 20 min whirlpool would it be best to do- 10-flameout-before whirlpool?

Back