Should i use a secondary or bottle.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33R

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just did my first beer and I'm wondering if i should rack it to a secondary or leave it in the primary for 2 weeks then just bottle? I made an American Amber.

Yes i do. I'm just curious if i should even bother using a secondary. Was going to rack it to a secondary after it reached TG then leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks to age a little. Should i just maybe let it sit in the primary for 2 weeks after it reaches TG and then just bottle it? I think i wasn't very specific on my first post.

Just do you aging in the primary and your beer will be before for it. I leave all my beers at least a month so the yeast can finish its job. Yeast just doesn't ferment beer, it will clean up its waste and clears your beer if left for a couple weeks after fermentation.

You will find than many of us will advocate waiting a couple more weeks before even moving it to secondary. Though many of us opt for 1 month in primary and no secondary unless we are oaking or adding fruit, we even dry hop in primary after fermentation is complete (I wait til 2 weeks after yeast pitch to add hops.)

Just because the beer may be done fermenting, doesn't mean that the yeast are done doing work. If left alone, the the yeast like to clean up the byproduct of their fermentation; the stuff that produces off flavors.

Even John Palmer talks about this in How To Bew;

How To Brew said:
Leaving an ale beer in the primary fermentor for a total of 2-3 weeks (instead of just the one week most canned kits recommend), will provide time for the conditioning reactions and improve the beer. This extra time will also let more sediment settle out before bottling, resulting in a clearer beer and easier pouring.

I wait 3-4 weeks in primary on my amber, then toss them into the bottle and wait another 3-4 weeks. They are always pretty damn clear and taste great. I wouldn't bother going to a secondary unless you're planning on dry-hopping/adding fruit, like Revvy said. Too much hassle for little-no reward as far as I'm concerned.

Back