Constantly getting lower than expected OG and FG, help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4traindays

Reaction score
Could this be the issue? So I start with 3.5 gallons of water to boil, after 60 minutes I end with about 3, then top off with an additional 2. So that totals 5.5 gallons. Is this my problem?

It depends on the recipe, my recipes usually call for a final liquid volume of 5 gal, sometimes 5.25 gal. I may occasionally add a bit top off water to account for the trub displacing some beer, or you may end up with only 4.75 gallons of beer. But if your recipe calls for a total five gallons, and u top off to 5.5, your essentially watering down your beer, which could account for your OG, and FG readings being off.

Could this be the issue? So I start with 3.5 gallons of water to boil, after 60 minutes I end with about 3, then top off with an additional 2. So that totals 5.5 gallons. Is this my problem?

If you are boiling down to 3 then add 2, you have 5, not 5.5. But that should make your gravity higher, not lower.

Extract or all grain? compensating for temperature? mixing well?

I start with 2.5 gallons of water usually, then by the time you have added all your LME, and DME, your boil size is increased by quite a bit, then when I transfer to primary I add one gallon to the bottom of the carboy first, transfer the beer on top of it, then top off to about 5.25 gallons, as I said to account for the trub displacement. If your glass carboy is not marked I strongly suggest doing that with an accurate measuring vessel, if you have a bucket fermenter, and it is pre marked I would suggest double checking the accuracy of those marks, as I found my Ale Pale to not be marked as accurately as it should be. All this is assuming your extract brewing, as boil sizes are bigger with partial mash kits.

Back