Non-beer use for DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scratch

Reaction score
I've gotten into the habit of making pancakes for my family on Saturday mornings, and one recipe I came across said I could use malt instead of sugar, in a 2:1 ratio (twice as much malt as the amount of sugar given.) According to this recipe book, traditional diner pancakes are made with malt instead of sugar. For a while I was using malted milk, but when I started playing around with extract brewing a few months ago, I picked up an extra bag of Pilsen DME.

To be honest with you, the pancakes come out great, but I've never taken a bite and said, "Wow, that malt really puts it over the top." But it's still cool to throw in some ingredients from my brew stash for the family breakfast.

Baking malt tends to be sweeter than brewing malt because it has more short-chain sugars. Desirable for baked goods, but not for brewing. So, brewing malt won't give you the same impact.

look at some prohibition style cookbooks, it's how malters stayed in business during that time, HTH.

boil it with some fructose and you'll get hard candy and lollypops. Around here it is sold with hard candy flavored with berries. Just berry pulp and fructose boiled together I guess

I tried some in oatmeal cookies. They came out great. I took out 1/2 cup of the sugar and replaced it with 1 cup DME.

Still sweet but with a good malt flavor.

...or maybe that was a reasonable cover for getting brewing supplies into your house?

Some of the packaging from that time warned you not to boil it with this amount of hops and add this much yeast and then store for this long in this way, or you would make an illegal drink. ;)

BonnieJ - Absolutely. In fact the baker's malt syrup that I used to buy is specifically for the bagel recipe in Peter Reinhart's "Artisan Breads Everyday" (phenomenal book on cold fermented bread) is, well, syrup. :)

Could you use LME in bagels, do you think?

Liquid extract was what the breweries sold to cooks along with the cookbooks. Breads, cookies, anything really, including bagels. And you can still buy liquid extract for cooking.

This is from my beer history link thread.

Prohibition Brewing information and recipes.

I posted this several years ago.....Stuff I found on the web.

Around 1975 or '76, the first time I got interested in brewing, I bought a can of the mysterious Blue Ribbon malt syrup. The label invited me to write to Premier malt products for a recipe book, and I did. A few weeks later it arrived: a well-produced, four-color print job with recipes for using malt syrup in cakes, cookies, biscuits and the like, but not a word about making beer. A few weeks later a plain brown envelope with no return address appeared in the mail. Inside were two mimeographed sheets of beer recipes---including this recipe.
Ingredients:
1-3/4 pounds, sugar
1 can, Blue Ribbon hop-flavored malt syrup
yeast
Procedure:
Dissolve sugar and malt syrup in 6 quarts of hot water. Stir until dissolved. Pour 14 quarts of cold water into a crock that has been scoured with Arm & Hammer baking soda and rinsed with clear water. Add hot solution of malt, sugar, and water. The temperature should be about 65F. Dissolve a cake of compressed or dehydrated yeast in a small quantity of luke warm water (about 8 ounces of 75F water) and add to crock. Stir thoroughly. Cover crock with clean cloth and allow to ferment 4 or 5 days. Skim off foam after first and second days. Siphon beer into 12 ounce bottles. Before siphoning, place a scant 1/2 teaspoon of sugar into each bottle. Cap and allow to remain at 60-70F for 7-10 days. Cool and consume.
Things to remember: Cleanliness of utensils, including bottles, siphon hose, crowns and crock is essential for good results. Wash everything in soda solution or detergentbefore and after each batch. A 7 or 9 gallon crock can be used to prevent messy foam-over.

Many consumer failures can be averted by using a starter consisting of: 1 package of yeast, 2 ounces of sugar, 1 pint of 72F water. Let starter stand for 3-4 hours before mixing into crock with malt solution.

The story of that can be found in this episode of Basic Brewing Radio for 2008.

February 14, 2008 - Homebrew History
Charlie Papazian shares a bit of homebrew history 30 years after legislation legalizing home brewing passed Congress. Also, home brewer Robb Holmes talks about brewing when it was breaking the law.

Click to listen- mp3

Here's some more of the recipes from those days...

Here's some of the "Prohibition Pilsner" recipes that were discretely mailed to people who wrote to the blue ribbon malt extract company....They came in plain brown envelopes with no return address and were simple mimeographs.

Blue Ribbon 1

Blue Ribbon 2

My Daddy's Beer Recipe

Al Capone's Recipe (AG)

Al Capone's Prohibition Beer

Another one
Prohibition Chicago Style

Back at the beginning of Prohibition in the early '20s, the Pabst Brewing Company gave up; stopped brewing beer and sold its breweries. The buyer was a guy named Pearlstein who started a business called Premier Malt Products and used the breweries to make Blue Ribbon malt syrup, "for cooking." You could get the syrup with, or without, hops flavoring.

And by God, the cookbook suggests that plenty of dishes that would be oh so much better with a little malt syrup in them: breads and donuts and muffins, of course. And malt loaf, malted chocolate pudding, malted pecan pie, spaghetti and meatballs (with malt), macaroni and cheese (ditto), and even cheese omelets with malt.

All well and good. But what they forgot to mention in the cookbook was that you could use Blue Ribbon malt syrup to make, uh, beer. At home. During Prohibition.

!CFJREcwCGk~$%28KGrHqUOKo4E0WBDB9G2BNUKOpD+JQ~~_3.JPG

And it was a huge seller. "Ah, yah, I'll take a three-pound can of that fine malt syrup. With the hops flavoring. My wife she sure does make them fine malt, uh, PANCAKES, yah!"

When Prohibition ended, Pabst bought back the breweries and resumed making Pabst Blue Ribbon and other frothy alcoholic favorites. But they kept making Blue Ribbon Malt Syrup, too, because some people kept making their own beer, and other people actually did bake with the stuff.

Pabst unloaded Premier Malt Products in the '80s to private investors, and it soldiers on as a supplier of malt sweeteners and malt products to food processors and bakers. And, yes, the (ahem) "malt beverage industry." Just so you know.

White Bread.
3 quarts sifted flour
1 quart lukewarm water
2 cakes compressed yeast
½ tablespoon sugar
1 ½ tablespoons Blue Ribbon Malt Extract (hop flavored or plain)
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons lard or melted butter.
Dissolve yeast, sugar, and Blue Ribbon Malt Extract in lukewarm water. Add lard or butter and half the flour, beat until smooth. Add salt and balance of the flour, or enough to make dough that can be handled, knead well. Place in greased bowl, cover and set aside in a moderately warm place until light, about one and a half hours. Mould into loaves. Place in well-greased bread pans, filling them half full. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Bake forty-five minutes to one hour at 400o F. If a richer loaf is desired, use milk in place of all or part of the water.

Soft Gingerbread

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspooon cloves
1 tsp each ginger and cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup Blue Ribbon Malt Extract (malt flavored or plain)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup boiling water
2 tsps soda
2 beaten eggs

Sift the dry ingredients together. Mix the molasses, shortening, Blue Ribbon Malt Extract, and water thoroughly with the boiling water. Add the beaten eggs. Add to the other ingredients, mix well. Bake in moderate oven at 325 degrees F until done -- about 45 minutes.

That soft gingerbread recipe sounds like a good candidate for LME. I tasted some during a boil, and figure it could be used as a molasses-like ingredient. Of course, I guess that's pretty much what the original product was anyway.

BonnieJ - Absolutely. In fact the baker's malt syrup that I used to buy is specifically for the bagel recipe in Peter Reinhart's "Artisan Breads Everyday" (phenomenal book on cold fermented bread) is, well, syrup. :)

That's Reinhart's book?! I've seen it but didn't notice it was his book. My my. I'll have to buy that for my husband. We have Crust and Crumb (that's the bagel recipe I use) and we love it.

Today the Epicurious website published an article by Reinhart which includes a recipe which he says is for the "ultimate" bagels, indeed using some barley malt syrup. Standard conversions apply if you use DME, I'd think.

Back