Missing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am planning on making "Phat Fired Weizenbock" from the Joy of Homebrewing. I stopped by my LHBS yest and got my ingredients. When I started getting things ready this AM I noticed I didn't have any boiling hops. I have 2 oz of Tettnanger hops for aromatic, but it also calls for 1.5 oz of Spalt hops for flavoring. Problem is that it is Sunday and nobody is open. Can I make it today with using 1 oz of Tett for flavoring and 1 oz for aroma? Or do I need to wait until next weekend?

You can easily cut down on the flavoring and aroma hops, especially in a wheat beer...but where are your bittering additions? Those are the ones that really add balance to your beer. Post the recipe, please, and maybe we can help you modify it given the ingredients you have on hand.

I'm not familiar with that recipe, but Weizenbocks (traditionally, at least) don't normally have flavor or aroma hops, just bittering; and just enough bittering to offset the sweetness of the malt, not enough to contribute hoppy flavor. The Weizenbock I brew has ~16IBU bittering hops, nothing else, and is ~8%abv.

Long story short, if I were you I'd bitter with the Tetts to achieve 16-18 IBU's and not do anything else with the hopping. Next time you brew it you can try it strictly according to the recipe and see which you like better.

Here's the recipe I was going off of.
6.6 # wheat extract
1.5 # light extract
1 # crystal malt
.25# chocolate malt
.25 German Caraffe malt
1.5 oz German Spalt hops (boiling) MISSING
2 oz Tettnanger hops

It says to add the malt extracts and Spalt hops after steeping the grains, boil for one hour and to add 1 oz of Tett hops with 5 min remains and the last 1 oz with 2 min remaining.

Any modifications/suggestions would be great

Put 1 ounce of the Tettnanger in at 60 minutes, add the extract at 15 minutes. You'll get better utilization and that should put you near the bittering level. Split the rest of the hops between 5 & 2 minutes.

I left a message at my LHBS and the guy called be back this AM. He was in for a few minutes so I was able to get the hops I needed. Another question though... What temp should I ferment this style of beer at? My basement is ~55 and extra closet is 68.

Latest posts

Back