likely keg leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLivermore

Reaction score
I did my 2nd brew and added too much water, and filled the keg higher than usual, though still safely below the gas dip tube.

I put the lid on and started the gas and noticed to my horror it was bubbling around the top, looked like a bit of starsan foam.

In my effort to be more thorough this time I had taken the rubber ring off the lid and cleaned and sanitized it separately before putting it back on.

I took the lid off, took the ring off, air dried them, and put it back.

Still a bit of a leak. As I attempted to crank up the psi a couple drops of beer actually started leaking down the side of the keg.

I'm sort of thinking I need a new rubber ring.

I wonder though if I could just put it together better or put it on better.

Also wondering just how much gas this is wasting. I'd like to carb the beer and not make a trip to the store for a couple more days...

It would be a couple of things that are causing this. Sometimes, rotating the lid helps to seal the cap but usually its caused by a bad O ring. You can buy a seal kit from any homebrew shop for a few dollars and that will fix you up most of the time.

I have several kegs like that. I keep a spray bottle of star-san handy, and always spray a keg when I fill a new one and give it some pressure. I spray the lid, the posts, etc, and look for leaks.

One thing that really helps is using keg lube on the o-ring. And then "wiggling" the lid around when you close up the keg to find the sweet spot to sit it. I have one keg that always leaks, so I put a dime under each "foot" and that fixed it!

Thanks. Ring is 1.50 at the store so I might as well pick one up. Gonna let it sit a couple days though; I want to taste this brew before I buy more ingredients...

Latest posts

Back