Hard Cider Recipe Request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Lopez

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for some hard cider. For any of you guys that have had Harpoon's Hard Cider, thats almost exactly what I'd like to try for...

Any tips would be appreciated... I haven't done any real research on hard cider thus far.

"Cloning" cider dosen't work like beer, as there's almost no way of telling what types of apples the manufacturer or cider mill used. I've never had harpoon, but if you discribe it (sweet, dry, sparkling, flat, dark, light, etc) there are many on this board that will be able to steer you in the correct direction for something like what you want.

The only hard cider recipe I use goes something like this:

5 gallons cider from local orchard
Pitch one tube WL English cider yeast

Probably not what you're looking for.

I haven't tried Harpoon's cider, but I have made many batches of EdWort's Apfelwein, which is basically a pretty potent cider. Hell of lot drier than Woodchuck, Cider Jack, Strongbow, or any other commersh cider i've tasted, but I like it alot better that way anyway. Like I said, I've made several batches since first trying it (with a tweak here and there) and it hasn't let anyone down. It's worth a try.

I've considered EdWorts recipe, however since I absolutely HATE apple juice, it kinda turned me off...

I love cider and hate apple juice, however I can't understand how some people hate tomatoes and love ketchup...

What I'm really looking to make is a good fall cider for the non-beer drinkers in my crowd. The SWMBO likes hard cider as well, so thats a good enough reason for me to make something...

Ok, so you're looking for a dry cider I assume then, as the sweeter ciders seem to end up tasting like apple a bit more. I'd say Make a batch of the apfelwein, as the apple taste isn't very prelivent. However, let this be said now: you will not have a good tasting cider ready by this fall if you start now. Ciders take at least 5-6 months before they taste good at all, especally if you add sugars. If you make up a batch with an ale yeast, such as us-04 or nottingham, and leave out the sugar, you MIGHT have a batch ready to drink by January, but that'd be pushing it imho.

Back