Want to brew a pale mild... thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Well as my last few beers i've been noticing have been over 7-8% (partial accident/eff% jump) and i would love some LIGHT beers. so i've derived this.

5lbs 2row (or Marris otter)
.5lbs carapills
.3lbs flaked barley (for more mouthfeel)
1lb corn sugar

mash in around 152ish

this should bring it to around the 1.035-40 mark
then for hopping, i would go to this schedule

.5oz cascade 60
.5oz cascade 15
.5oz cascade 5
.5oz cascade 0

should put me around 15-20 IBUs
prolly nottingham for the yeast or maybe S-05

what say thee home brew talk?

go with Marris Otter, mash a little higher, and use S-04 not US-05 or Notty.

I'd probably use something like EKG as opposed to cascade... and I'd call it an ordinary bitter ;)

i would go with the EKG for sure, but i have some 2011 cascade crop that my LHBS gave me for free... almost 2 lbs that i need to use up, so i'm trying to get rid of it lol

i think you may want to mash higher and/or add some more non fermenatables to avoid a very low FG and very thin beer

i think the cascade will be fine - you have an american bitter

think about 155-156? also, what would you suggest for unfermentables in a beer like this?

Ended up just changing it slightly.
5lb 2 row
.5 carapills
.5 flaked barley
.2 120l
1lb corn sugar
Srm should be at 6 which is what I was looking for and about 1040 which is perfect.
Going to keep the same hop recipe but add a half ounce of simcoe at FWH which should put me at 33 ibu or so.

Picked up some 1056 as well so I can try my hand at yeast washing

Done and hit 1040 perfectly. Tasted just slightly bitter with a wonderful citrusy grapefruit arose

Back