leftovers recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivot

Reaction score
Ok so I have a bunch of just random leftovers lying around, and dont really have money to go buy any new ingredients so how do people think this recipe is going to turn out?

3 pounds brown malt
3 pounds pale malt extract
1.5 pounds crystal 10L
1 ounce chocolate malt
2 oz Fuggles at 60 minutes
1 oz willamette at 15 minutes
nottingham dry ale yeast

Im a real newb so I dont know what it is exactly that I have thrown together here, if its even a style or just a mongrel, but id like to know if anybody thinks this will actually be good. Just wanna get rid of all my leftovers and have a little experiment in the process haha

I think that it will turn out fine. It would be better if u could throw in a little more pale malt, Oh wait...reduce your hop bill of fuggles. I would do about a half oz. with a normal fuggle Alpha Acid range. and for the Willamette I would add them at 0 min left in the boil or 5 min. Just my thoughts, Iv done a few of those beers where u use left over yeast hops and grain.

what will adding hops at 0 minutes left in the boil do? and does this mean I throw them in and then immediately take it off the heat?

That will add more aroma from them, it's definitely going to be beer though. Your hops do look a little unbalanced for the malt profile, I'd go with what Tmeister said. You could also do a 20 minute addition for a little extra hop flavor.

so just leave all the malt the same, and then do .5oz fuggles at 60 and then add the willamette at 0? what style of beer will this make?

Well, if you actually make the Fuggles addition 1.5oz at 60 minutes and use 1oz Willamette for aroma at 0 minutes, you hit the 10C American Brown Ale exactly.

Again, using 1.5oz Fuggles at 60min, then subbing the other 0.5oz of Fuggles at 0 minutes (instead of Willamette) puts you into the 11C Northern English Brown Ale style, since this style calls for English hops rather than American varieties.

It also qualifies as a 12A Brown Porter (again with 1.5oz Fuggles), but the color is right at the low end for the style, and you'd want to back off on any aroma hop additions (or keep it at Fuggles).

Batch size: 5 gallons (5.35 into the fermenter to account for trub loss)
OG 1.045
FG 1.010
IBUs 25
ABV 4.6%

If you actually did only .5oz Fuggles, your IBUs would be 9, which is going to be nothing but sweet water, totally unbalanced.

Back