So here's where I am...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slip_Stick

Reaction score
I just "finished" a AG Hoppy Red Ale :rockin:

Tonight, I returned from my vacation and the beer was the first thing i checked. :D Measured its FG and it was spot on to what it was suppose to be (1.02). However, i decided to ferment it at a "lower" temperature than the optimal temp of for the yeast. I made a 2L starter over 48 hours with a American ale yeast, and fermented it at 60* for 6 days and just pulled it out of the chamber and put it into a room at 70*.

Here's the Q: Should i let it run out for another day at the higher ambient temp to help the yeast finish and clear it up, or should i just rack it?

Also a quick Q about hops, here's the hop-schedule i used:

boil 60 min 1.0 Chinook Leaf - 13.0% AA
boil 10 min 0.5 Amarillo Leaf - 7.0%
boil 5 min 0.5 Amarillo Leaf - 7.0%
boil 1 min 1.0 Amarillo Leaf - 7.0%

I was also planning on dry-hopping with 2oz of Amarillo (same AA), possibly a half oz of simcoe. I don't want to throw the flavor off, and enjoy the amarillo, but is 2 oz too much? Also how about the simcoe idea (have an oz @ ~13% if i recall correctly). Ideas?

My experience says you should give it much longer than one more day. If I understand what you are saying, you only have had this beer fermenting for 7 days. It needs another 2 weeks at the higher temperature for the yeast to finish the clean up. After about 1 week, add your aroma hops and let them sit in the fermenter until it is time to bottle or keg and I'll bet you have very tasty beer.

I'd go at least 3 weeks for that kind of beer. Wait a week and dry hop. After one more week, bottle or keg. It won't be any worse, I bet.

Back