Delay on pitching Nottingham.. Any issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrguy

Reaction score
I did a batch yesterday and hydrated my Nottingham per instructions right after I began to chill. However, forgot that my ground temp water was much hotter and had to put the wort in fridge for about 3 hours to get the temp within pitching range. So, the hydrated wort sat. According to the instructions, I was supposed to pitch after 15 minutes or so. No activity this morning. First time using Nottingham so should I worry about the delay when I was pitching? Or to early to tell?

I e-mailed Danstar about timing of rehydration and got this reply:
"Our technical manager suggests that you don't go longer than 30 minutes after the start of rehydration before pitching the yeast into wort as the yeast needs nutrients. If there is a delay you could actually add more wort to the rehydration water to give the yeast something to eat while you are waiting to pitch it, so long as it isn't too hot."
I've tried waiting up to about 50 minutes with no noticeable problems, but I don't know about 3 hours.

You might have killed some yeast by letting them sit in water longer but I wouldn't think it would be a huge amount. Yeast are very hardy and many of us keep washed yeast in water for weeks or months and reuse them. What kind of beer is it?

My guess is that nothing bad will have happened, unless the yeast was left sitting in a dirty place uncovered. And, it is too soon to worry about not seeing activity.

Letting the yeast sit is not best, but I doubt any real harm was done.

The other guys are probably correct. But Notti is one of my go to yeast strains and I use it more than 50% of the time. I also have had excellent results pitching it right into the wort w/o rehydrating. I have never had a batch go for more than 12hrs w/o any signs of fermentation using Notti whether I pitched directly or rehydrated.

I just started seeing some activity. That one had me worried because Notty says it goes off quick and I didn't see anything this morning, so, I got a little worried. I figured as hard as it was to wait, I would let it go until tomorrow morning. But, I just noticed a krausen coming up and some activity so I looks like its on the way. Whew!,

Back