Which way to java?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoctorDuvel

Reaction score
I have a black IPA dry hopping and will bottle within the next two days. What's the deal with adding the grounds to secondary? I've read how people put them in there for a whole week - but since it only takes about 24 hours to cold brew coffee, couldn't i get away with putting them in there tomorrow (fri.) and bottling saturday?

Anyone tried doing that versus adding cold brewed coffee at bottling? preferences?

i will say that i like the idea of adding grounds to the carboy since i won't have to dilute the beer at all (i'm right at the low end of my target in terms of gravity)

Chatting with the owner of a local brew pub who make a really good coffee porter... He said he thinks the secret is to use a lot of coffee for a small amount of time and that he believes the acrid, acidic unpleasant flavors come from too much time on the coffee.

I bottled the beer a few hours ago. Last night around 9pm, i put 2 oz. of freshly ground coffee into the carboy. Tasting the sample at bottling, it had all of the fresh coffee flavor and aroma that i wanted. So there we go, i found my preferred method.

I just kegged an imperial stout 10.25 abv 5 gallons with 16 oz of cold brewed french pressed coffee (dark roast 5 table spoons) into the keg. Not over bearing but noticeable, I think it turned out great! good luck!

Back