Partigyle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmedved

Reaction score
I've done a couple partigyle's now, and love being able to get two batches done at once.

I've been wanting to make some good session beers, and figure a partigyle would be a great way to accomplish this.

My question: I know it would be difficult to calculate IBU's, but would there be any problem re-using the late hop additions of the bigger beer as the bittering hops for the smaller beer?

I would think you should at least be able to use them again for another mid to late addition, if nothing else.

That's an interesting concept. I don't know to what extent the acids from the late additions seep out of the hops into the wort even though they do not isomerize. If they seep out then the hops would not do any good for bittering the small beer.

So, sounds like using them for late additions should be a go, but using them for bittering probably wouldn't work.

I would think the late additions from batch #1 would work for the bittering of batch 2 and then use new hops for the late additions on batch #2. Im not sure how much bitterness you would get from them but it should add something. Try it out. I did this on a partigale that I did last X-mas but I added .5 EKG at 60 mins on beer #2 also.

all my boil hops get mixed up since I don't bag, but you can easily use your dry hops for bittering in later batches.

Back