Primary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
I am a wine making newbie! I started my first batch Saturday evening from a Vintners Reserve wine kit. It says that the wine should stay in primary fermentation for 5-7 days (also based on the SG). I am going to be gone and won't be back until day 9 or 10 in the primary fermentation process. Will this be a big issue? Or should I move it to the carboy at day 4, before I leave?

Is it okay to let the wine stay in primary fermentation for a few extra days? Or will this ruin what I have started?

Thanks!

I would not leave it in an open top (bucket) primary for the extra days. While you might not have any problem, there is the possibility of developing infection or spoilage issues in that short period of time without adequate CO2 from the ferment plus the oxygen exposure.

At the last possible moment before you leave, rack it to the secondary and put an airlock on it.

Back