Plastic Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpahos

Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering what anyone thought about using those 2.5 gallon water containers that you pay $3 for at Wal-Mart that come filled with spring water as a plastic fermenter for small batches. The material says it's HDPE, which I believe is the same material as an Ale Pail. Although the plastic is a bit thinner. I was thinking about running a batch in one of these with a stopper and airlock. Anyone think this could cause a problem in a 2 week fermentation?

Here's an example:
http://www.nutricity.com/n/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=28144&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=froogle

Would it work, yes. However, my first thought is that it is kinda funny. Second, it seems like it would be a pain to pop off the tap, fit it with a stopper and airlock, etc. Third, it seems hard to clean and I would NEVER reuse it. If you are going to be paying $3 each time for these things, and it seems that you are doing experimental/small batches, why not go with these 2 gallon fermenting buckets for $5.99 each?

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/buckets/2-gallon-bucket-w-lid.html

image_344_1.jpg

Would it work, yes. However, my first thought is that it is kinda funny. Second, it seems like it would be a pain to pop off the tap, fit it with a stopper and airlock, etc. Third, it seems hard to clean and I would NEVER reuse it. If you are going to be paying $3 each time for these things, and it seems that you are doing experimental/small batches, why not go with these 2 gallon fermenting buckets for $5.99 each?

Because I
A.)didn't see them
B.)will now have to spend more money at northern brewer so I can take advantage of that flat shipping rate.

Guess I can take advantage of this to get some fancy schmancy thermometers and other miscellaneous equipment I don't need but want.

Thanks Doctor Robinson

Latest posts

Back