Stupid Wort Chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
I have been considering purchasing a plate chiller and a pump but have a stupid usage question that I need to get out of the way before I go ahead with the purchase.

How do people go about making sure none of the break material gets into the fermenter? Maybe my confusion is hung up on my current processes and how I would modify what I do to integrate a pump and plate chiller. Here's what I do with my immersion chiller today.

1. Sanitize immersion chiller in the last 5 min of my boil
2. Boil ends. Remove from heat and begin pumping water through chiller.
3. Usually have reached 70F more or less in 30-45 min
4. Whirlpool with sanitized spoon, cover brew kettle with lid while the whirlpool spins down (about 30 min)
5. Transfer to fermenter with auto-siphon.

My main point of confusion is how I would change this process if I added a plate chiller and a pump. Would I whirlpool warm/hot? How would I make sure the hop and break material stayed behind if I pumped from the kettle right after the boil?

You don't...

The break material is going to get into the fermenter no matter what. However you can chill then let it sit for a few hours to let the break material settle and then transfer to a new fermenter.

That can be done but just remember its just Cold Break material... not Hot break so its not going to be detrimental to the overall profile of the beer.

Latest posts

Back