Using Keg as Secondary for Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abonzer

Reaction score
I am in the process of making my first lager and I am at the point of needing to move it to the secondary and plan on using one of my kegs for this. Question, can I also add priming sugar to the keg so it is carbonated at the end of the secondary phase and ready to hook to the tap and start drinking?

So, I went ahead and added the priming sugar in the keg and put my keg in the garage at 40 degrees. I suppose I will need to bring the keg in to room temp in order for the priming sugar to carbonate the beer. Any opinions?

I just started kegging and lagering as well, but I can at least give you my thoughts. It should carbonate at 40 degrees since you are using lager yeast. Ale yeast won't carbonate at 40* because the yeast goes dormant in the colder temperatures.

OK, disregard that comment. After doing some research, it seems to require room temperature to carbonate. I really need to brush up on my lagering techniques.

Thanks for your thoughts CarsonCE! My plan is to leave it at 35 to 40 degrees for 3 to 4 weeks and then bring it in to room temperature for a few weeks to carbonate. Hopefully it works out. My first kegging experience was not good so hopefully this one goes better.

I am in the process of making my first lager and I am at the point of needing to move it to the secondary and plan on using one of my kegs for this. Question, can I also add priming sugar to the keg so it is carbonated at the end of the secondary phase and ready to hook to the tap and start drinking?

There may be some useful information here:

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/562

Jim:mug:

I did not get all the soda/acid residue out of the keg well enough before I dumped my beer. At least that is what I think happened. The beer had a very funny twang to it that I have not had with bottling. Almost undrinkable. Other than that I think everything went ok. I did not try to force carb. I just hooked it up to the gas and let it sit for a few weeks, that is why I want to try to carb it with priming sugar.

OK, disregard that comment. After doing some research, it seems to require room temperature to carbonate. I really need to brush up on my lagering techniques.

You were technically right, it would just take many months.

I would split apart the lagering and carbonating if I were you, but I also wouldn't naturally carb a lager because then you are re-introducing sediment after lagering to get rid of all of it.

I am not a lager expert, hence this post, but doesn't the yeast strain have more to do with a beer being a lager than sediment in the beer? If you can't naturally carbonate a lager than how do you bottle a lager if you don't have a keg and a beer gun?

I am not a lager expert, hence this post, but doesn't the yeast strain have more to do with a beer being a lager than sediment in the beer? If you can't naturally carbonate a lager than how do you bottle a lager if you don't have a keg and a beer gun?

Usually you have to reintroduce yeast, though I have heard of bottle lagering in which it sounds like you wouldn't.

In any case, my above statement should have added "given the choice, I would force carb". So, if you can, you should, though your technique will work also. It is basically the way the bottlers do it, but in a keg.

Back