How to 2nd Ferment with fruits??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzhilton

Reaction score
I'am currently brewing a very hoppy IPA with Hoppy light Malts and U.S Magnum hops. And dry hopping with Aroma Citra hops. I'm wanting to include some sort of fruit or peels for the 2nd fermentation, i don't what an overall fruity beer, just a taste of citra. What would be a food fruit to use? And how would I go about introducing the fruit to the beer? Thanks

you mean a taste of 'citrus'?

If you want to add zest, I would add it to your priming sugar syrup at bottling. Maybe do zest from a grapefruit and orange into the corn sugar syrup, strain, and add at bottling?

the issue with doing it this way is you do not know how much to add. Typically with adjuncts like this, its best to pull an 8oz sample, separate it into 4 glasses, add increasing amounts of an 'extract' like this fruit essence, and taste each one, then scale it up to how much beer you have in the fermenter.

FWIW, many american hops, including amarillo, cascade, centennial, citra, and particularly simcoe, impart plenty of citrus notes into your hop character just by adding late in the boil or in some cases by dry hopping. Were magnums @ 60 minutes your only hop addition? Also, what do you mean by 'hoppy light malts'? Malts aren't hoppy, hops are hoppy.

This is the Hopped Malts I was talking about. I used U.SMagnum for 40 minutes then some aroma hops the last 10. And i'm planning to keg the beer. so would orange peels during second fermation be ok, or would another fruit work better?

Ok I thought thats what you meant: hopped malt EXTRACT...

As far as the secondary, and what zests work, I would honestly just do what I said, but try some different zests, maybe one with orange, one with lemon, one with grapefruit, and one on its own? They might need 20-30 minutes covered to get the full effect, so just cover the samples with some plastic wrap. Then when you find the one you want, maybe pull another 8oz sample and see how much you want in it.

Or, just zest two oranges and add it and forget everything else i typed.

pietro1022 said:
FWIW, many american hops, including amarillo, cascade, centennial, citra, and particularly simcoe, impart plenty of citrus notes into your hop character just by adding late in the boil or in some cases by dry hopping. Were magnums @ 60 minutes your only hop addition? Also, what do you mean by 'hoppy light malts'? Malts aren't hoppy, hops are hoppy.

+1. Hops can give a LOT of citrus. It doesn't sound like you added any hops at the end of the boil, so I think it would be a great idea to dry hop with something like centennial.

Back