No Bubbles, But there is some noise in the bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Masterbaker

Reaction score
I did a Noob Job on my yeast re hydration, I'm yet to See bubbles in the Air Lock. @ 36 hrs. I had some good news, when I place my ear to the bucket I can here a popping sound. It's almost like someone pored fresh soda in the bucket.:fro::rockin:

well if you hear bubbles then it sounds like you got an active fermentation going. might want to check that the seal around your airlock is tight and that the stopper is tight in the neck of the carboy. if your using a 3 piece airlock make sure the plastic cap is on the top.

using 7 gal bucket, lid is on tight. airlock is 1 piece plastic, it is secure in the lid of the bucket and the plastic cap is on top.

I know, I know the buckets are cheep, but Im new this is my first run ever. I wanted to try it b4 I invested a bunch of money. I am however having alot of fun and looking forward to making more. with time Im sure I will purchase more equipment.

Sometimes you gotta bash those lids with a rubber mallet to get them sealed. But remember, use your hydrometer!

If you leave a lot of airspace in the top of the bucket, it can take along time to build up enough positive pressure to bubble the airlock. If you take a peak inside, ciders usually get a good foam going on top when they are fermenting happily so that could at least help reassure you that it is working. Also +1 on using your hydrometer, it doesn't lie. If you don't see any activity with that, best thing to do is re-pitch new yeast.

Nothing wrong with plastic buckets, I use them all the time along with glass and SS carboys. Whatever works for you is just fine by me.
Odds are it is kicking along, the yeast in a reproduction stage and getting use to their new home and once they are happy they will throw their little party.
If you press down on the lid you may find that there is a good amount of pressure in there, just give it at least two weeks to do its thing.

Good news. I woke this AM & my airlock was going ape sh*t.
2-3 big fat burps per Min.

Thanks for all your help guys, I made a list of all the things I need to take note of.

1. hydrometer (need to get one)
2. sometimes plastic bucket needs rubber mallet for snapping lid tight
3. If there is lots of volume left in the bucket it can take time for the airlock to bubble
4. make sure that the tail of the airlock is not below the liquid in the bucket

Thanks Again.

I saw the title to your thread and I though it was a euphemism for gastric distress.

Glad to hear it's just your bucket that's bubbling.

Back