Seriously, Am I Screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alamo_Beer

Reaction score
Hey guy's as evidenced here I've been trying to wire my new johnson temp controller....

It works, sorta...as long as the temp is ABOVE 85*....which is good for about NOTHING!

I live in an older house....built like in 1948 or something...could the old wireing be it or did I just FUKC it up?

This ESPECIALLY sucks bc I just got my order in from AHB and really wanted to brew tomorrow or Sunday. I'm using Kolsch yeast and I don't think it'll work too well with my house being at a constant 80*

GRR sorry I'm just pissed off.....

:mad:

1948?

That's a brand spankin new house! Mine's from the previous century (1880's).

Speaking from experience as someone with a bit of every type of electrical technology from the beginning of indoor electricity in his house, I would say no. You can not blame it on the wiring in your house unless something catches fire or blows up. :D

Well, mostly serious. Is it blowing the fuse/circuit constantly? What is your electrical system rated for, i.e. how may amps are coming in?

well, the amperage would be located on your service panel where the circuits or fuses are. There will be a main switch at the top and it will say how many amps. Older houses that are not updated at all will usually have 100 amps or less. Most new homes or updated systems will have at least 200 amp service. You would be blowing fuses/circuits all the time if you had less than 100 and have a lot of modern appliances (computers, ac, mulitple tv/s etc.)

Cool Gambrinus.....my 'Main' says 100....

EDIT: JUST FLIPPED THE 'COMMONS' AND STILL NO DICE

Unless your entire house went dark, it's not a service issue. It's possible that it's a problem with circuit loading, but given your inexperience with electrical, I would seriously want to check your wiring.

Boy, would pictures ever help. Did the controller come with a schematic? Can you scan it and mail it?

Thanks everybody (yeah I know i probubly could have posted 1 pic and this all could have been avoided...)!!1

I got it figured out...i'm an idiot is what it boils down to :drunk: . I had 1 screw connected to the 'white' wire and 1 to the 'black' wire....both are now connected to the 'black' wires and it's humming away at 65* now!

Thanks again everybody....

Back