is something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
My first year hops have been in the ground now for about six weeks now. The sprout the first week of may. They are still only about 6-8 inches tall. I see all the picks of the bines already being trained and wonder if something is wrong?

I wouldnt worry, they all go at their own pace. The fact they popped out shows they are alive.

Just let them do their thing.

I have 3 varieties all planted at the same time the first week of April. My cascade is nearly 15 feet tall now with side shoots going everywhere. The Newport and Columbus are still maybe 4-5 feet tall and scrawny looking in comparison.

A buddy planted a bunch and his Brewers Gold is taking off but his Cascade is small..it really depends on the health of the rhizome.

That said, realistically you still have 3+ months of growing before its harvest time.

Hi Dixon-

Just wondering, how many bines per plant are you allowing to grow? In the spring, hop plants will sprout as many as 20 bines from a single root system. To achieve maximum growth, cut them back to the healthiest 2 or 3.

Hope that helps

-D

Latest posts

Back