What do i do with this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenRuss

Reaction score
So I went to the LBS to buy a spigot to make a bottling bucket. He had the spigot and some cool parts that will help make the bucket but then he said it was $19.95 for a 23l food grade bucket. Fair price, but on my way in to the store there was one of the jugs ( pictures below) outside marked "free"! Now that's my favourite price, so I said no to the bucket and grabbed this jug. So my question is, what do I do with it??? I have a 23l primary pail with no spigot, do I convert that to my bottling bucket and save this beauty for my primary? Or install the spigot and cut the top bigger for easy cleaning and make this my bottling bucket? The handle is a huge bonus...

image-1243518851.jpg

image-31474295.jpg

Ok great, I have searched 10 gallon brewing and found lots of others using this same jug, but is it too much head space? The bottle is 16 gallons with markings at 4, 8, 12 and 16. What would be the smallest batch you would do with that size of fermenter?

Ok great, I have searched 10 gallon brewing and found lots of others using this same jug, but is it too much head space? The bottle is 16 gallons with markings at 4, 8, 12 and 16. What would be the smallest batch you would do with that size of fermenter?

No. Normally the question is "what is the largest batch I can brew with this?" Which would be about 13 ish gallons.

Yes, but could I use it as a second fermenter and do a regular 5 gallon batch if I needed?

It is too big to use for secondary. Unless you are doing 16 gallon batches. Your secondary needs to be as full as possible to reduce the risk of oxidation, etc.

No I mention a spare primary! Could I primary a 6 gallon batch in it if my other 6g primary was in use?

Back