First Chili ale; possible yeast effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnort004

Reaction score
So one of my good friends recently came back from North Carolina and tasted a Habenaro saison. She's tasked me with the task of recreating it. My one major concern is that the oil from the chilies and the chili meat (.5 lbs diced added in the mash at vorlof) is going to throw off the saison yeast or prompt some off flavors/stall or kill fermentation. The saison yeast I'm going to use is French Saison wyeast #3711. Does anyone have any sage advice for me?

Thanks a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've done a couple of habanero stouts. What I did which worked well was infuse habanero meat (no seeds) in vodka for a couple of week, then add that at bottling bucket.

I used 1 habanero for 5 gallon of stout, and in my opinion it was too much. It was good, however the habanero take away from the beer. I also noticed the more the beer ages, the stronger the burn is. Kinda expected the opposite!

I made one with hatch green chiles and the chile flavor and spiciness aged out of the beer. So maybe habaneros behave differently. I froze the chiles then added them frozen to secondary (freezing is simply to reduce risk of contamination) when the chiles started to break down and disintegrate I kegged the beer. I used 5 chiles which was overpowering at first but aged nicely.

If you add them to the mash I would go light then if you need more flavor or spice add more to secondary. As far as throwing off the yeast I can't think of a reason why it would, but since I did mine in secondary I don't have experience with it.

Does the brewery that makes her beer provide any information on their website?

Good luck.

No it's a person the brewer and I know personally.

We can adjust it how we'd like it.

Back