pitching on yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normeller

Reaction score
This will be my first time to pitch on a yeast cake. When I add the wort should I stir the yeast cake into the new wort or just decant onto the top of it. Should I use a blow off tube? What about temp for fermentation?

when pitching onto a yeast cake you want to get the yeast into suspension like normal. you also want to aerate. it wont hurt to use a blow off and as the old adage goes "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it". fermentation temps are normal, what ever the yeast you are pitching on.

I'll answer with what I do when I pitch on top of a yeast cake. I chill in the kettle, and rack directly on top of the yeast active yeast cake. Then I use a paint mixer to areate which fully stirs up the yeast cake into the wort. When I do this I typically have very active fermentation within 45 minutes. Occasionally this can be too violent and I blow the lid right off my fermenter, but that doesn't always happen.

Cheers,
Scott

Latest posts

Back