Terminology and how to make a redstone type mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijakk

Reaction score
I've only done apple cider and a few experimental things (maple wine sitting in my office right now). I want to like mead, but the only commercial brand I've found so far that I've really enjoyed is Redstone, and their melomels, etc.

I have a hard time describing them, they're very light in the mouthfeel area, and don't have a strong alcohol bite to them.

I know the dry/sweet spectrum, but I've always found the dry beverages to have a bite to them, including many dry meads.

Is there a descriptive term for redstone style mead? What would be the best way to reproduce it?

Descriptive term for Redstone? Young. Most redstone meads you find on the shelf are less than one year old, and from personal experience, anything over two years is phenominal.

While I'm no mead expert, redstone makes they're traditional mead...well, traditionally. Ken Schramm is the father of meadmaking imho, so his book is a great start. He did an extensive interview on the Jamil show from the Brewing Network

Go to Redstone's web page. The types of honey they use and ratios are given, but not the type of yeast or any additives they may use. I'm going to make a juniper mead here soon. I have a source for the desert blossom and orange blossum honeys, and whole juniper berries can be purchased in a good grocery store. I just have to decide the yeast and any additives I may want to put in. I'll buy one more bottle of their mead and see if I can figure it out.

Vic

Latest posts

Back