Wild mushrooms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know the identification of this mushroom? That's a size 12 foot next to it.

A big shroom.JPG

Bob said that looks like a Giant Puffball. It looks a little old. Bob said that they are edible when they are creamy white inside. If you slice it, and it's milky creamy white inside, it's still good. If it's already turning brown and/or green and there are powdery spores, it's too late to eat.

Now, that's assuming it's really a giant puffball. It looks like it, but it's hard to identify mushrooms from one picture on the internet. If you google "giant puffball" images, you'll see many other pictures and maybe know for sure.

Bob said that looks like a Giant Puffball. It looks a little old. Bob said that they are edible when they are creamy white inside. If you slice it, and it's milky creamy white inside, it's still good. If it's already turning brown and/or green and there are powdery spores, it's too late to eat.

Now, that's assuming it's really a giant puffball. It looks like it, but it's hard to identify mushrooms from one picture on the internet. If you google "giant puffball" images, you'll see many other pictures and maybe know for sure.

I do agree it is a puffball of a mushroom but I don't eat fungus. It seems hollow inside. I just found them so this is something new in my area.

I do agree it is a puffball of a mushroom but I don't eat fungus.

Merriam-Webster said:
yeast:

Noun

a yellowish surface froth or sediment that occurs especially in saccharine liquids (as fruit juices) in which it promotes alcoholic fermentation, consists largely of cells of a fungus (as the saccharomyces, Saccharomyces cerevisiae), and is used especially in the making of alcoholic liquors and as a leaven in baking

Can I have your beer and bread?

The second picture looks like a "false giant puffball". Those are poisonous. You can tell from the soccer ball appearance. Giant puffballs are smooth, and get HUGE. They don't have the soccer ball markings.

The second picture looks like a "false giant puffball". Those are poisonous. You can tell from the soccer ball appearance. Giant puffballs are smooth, and get HUGE. They don't have the soccer ball markings.

Thanks Yoop;. So one is smooth and the other isn't. Do they grow next to each other? Not that it really matters since I'm not eating them but I'd like to know what's growing in my yard. :)

Thanks Yoop;. So one is smooth and the other isn't. Do they grow next to each other? Not that it really matters since I'm not eating them but I'd like to know what's growing in my yard. :)

Sure, they can grow anywhere the conditions are right for them. Apparently, you've had a damp spring!

You know, being married to a wildlife biologist has come in handy! I can identify birds (he has great interest in ornithology) and he's a mushroom hunter. He can tell me the best fish habitat (I love to fish) and what native plants can work in my pond. He's also helped me improve my deer hunting abilities, identify grapes that make good wine, and how to provide good bird habitat around our lake cottage. You should get your own biologist to hang around, and see what else you've got hanging around your yard!

You know, being married to a wildlife biologist has come in handy! I can identify birds (he has great interest in ornithology) and he's a mushroom hunter. He can tell me the best fish habitat (I love to fish) and what native plants can work in my pond. He's also helped me improve my deer hunting abilities, identify grapes that make good wine, and how to provide good bird habitat around our lake cottage. You should get your own biologist to hang around, and see what else you've got hanging around your yard!

That is good information to have around. :D I would like to have a biologist and a geologist as friends. :rockin:

What's really fun is when strangers and neighbors bring him bugs they found in their homes. They come up to him, "Hey, Bob! What's this squashed bug?" and he does his best to identify them. He says things like, "Well, I'm not an entomologist but this looks like it's from the Hemiptera family, probably a Phymatidae, because the species in the family Phymatidae as defined in Borror and White are distinguished from the Reduviidae by having the antennae slightly clubbed, the front legs with greatly enlarged femurs, and the abdomen expanded posteriorly. I'm not really 100% certain, but I'm about 95% certain. You might want to check with an entomologist to be sure, though".

They say, "uh, thanks. I just wanted to know if it bites".

so, sometimes, all I want him to to is kill the ****ing spider. Not tell my WHY it's in my living room, under the chair.

Back