Uh oh. Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I moved my Mocha Stout from the primary into a secondary with cocoa nibs and cold brewed espresso.

The primary hadn't shown signs of activity for several days beforehand, but the SG reading I took showed it was only at 1.022 (1.044 OG).

After the transfer the yeast seemed to wake up a bit (fresh oxygen, maybe?) and the airlock would bubble every few minutes. Slow, but signs of progress.

I pulled the cover off the carboy today to find these white chunks floating around. Could it be bleached cocoa (can that happen) or dead yeast? Or is it some sort of infection?

aqOW3Iq.jpg

Kinda what I was thinking (hoping), but I'm just on edge as this is my first brew in a secondary, first time using that carboy, first time using the auto-siphon, and first time brewing with coffee and cocoa... basically lots of firsts.

Thanks!

I've never had an infection but the pics I've seen of them didn't look like that. To me that looks like it will taste delicious! Have you sampled it?

I sampled before it went into the secondary and it had promise. I haven't touched it since. I wanted to give the yeast the opportunity to finish it's job and then take another hydrometer reading (and taste!).

Back