grinding grains-- and mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
I saw this at home depot-

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...rizontal1-3-_-NA-_-203011191-_-N#.UCqvZKNqpI0

Looks decent enough right? Anyone using this item and recommend it?

regarding mash tuns

I have been reading alot about this. I really want to make one soon- im wondering however- if the chest style or tall water cooler style "better". I know better may not be the best word

I saw a nice thread about someone who does it chest style with strainers- and whatnot- syphons completed wort- continues to mashout- and only grab the clear wort produced through the tops of the strainer..

It seems to allow more of a hands on vs a large water cooler type.

thoughts?

Don't know about the coolers, though I used the beverage cooler, tall, type and like it, probably each their own. I actually have that style mill. It works well, but you have to pay attention to the grind plate to make sure it is crushing the grains properly. Only other thing...after crushing 12 pounds of grain, it gets a little tiring.

If you do a search for corona mill, lots of people use them with success..

I can't comment on the rectangular coolers, however I use the igloo cooler from home depot and it works great. I loose about a degree over a 60 minute mash. I also use a SS braided hose, and it works perfect.

Search for the "Ugly Junk Corona Mill Station" thread. That's the mill everyone made into nice setups, myself included (a pic in my gallery as well).

In terms of mash tuns, Most of us got the largest, cheapest cooler we could so we weren't limited by size, then either made a manifold out of copper or CPVC pipe or used stainless steel hose-braid from a sink/toilet supply line (with rubber tubing removed from center). Either way you're just creating a filter in the bottom of the cooler to strain the liquid and leave the grains after mashing.

does having a larger cooler- lets say a 15 gallon- lose efficiency with all of that open space? I know I can grow into bigger batches- which is really swaying my decision a little.

I did look at the ugly junk corona thread :) that caused me to look for a mill - hence home depot- cheap and quick - Its a great thread- the mill looks better also-

gosh I have no idea where I put this stuff. I think I am slowly turning my office into a brew haus.

does having a larger cooler- lets say a 15 gallon- lose efficiency with all of that open space? I know I can grow into bigger batches- which is really swaying my decision a little.

I just did an overnight mash. In 8 hours I lost 10 degrees. I typically don't lose even a degree in a 60 minute mash.

I did look at the ugly junk corona thread :) that caused me to look for a mill - hence home depot- cheap and quick - Its a great thread- the mill looks better also-

gosh I have no idea where I put this stuff. I think I am slowly turning my office into a brew haus.

I have 1/4 of the basement dedicated to my brewery now. Good thing for me it's in the less attractive portion, so my wife doesn't mind.

They are all different, so you will have to do some research to find models that are commonly used. Some have really bad lid seals, or just really bad thermal properties. Which is why i think a lot of people buy the Home depot/lowes 5/10 gallon coolers, because they are all identical and will operate exactly the same. I just did my first mash with mine last night, hit my OG @ 75% single batch sparging..so im pretty happy. $70 total(brass fittings)

There are plenty of chest coolers that work well, if you can find the Igloo IceCube's i know a lot of people have success with them...as well as the Coleman Xtreme something...just research what models you can get readily locally around you and search on HBT for what people think of them.

There are plenty of chest coolers that work well, if you can find the Igloo IceCube's i know a lot of people have success with them...as well as the Coleman Xtreme something...just research what models you can get readily locally around you and search on HBT for what people think of them.

I have the Xtreme 70qt and neighbor has the 60qt ice-cube. Both work well (have used both). The Xtreme 70qt. cost me $40 I think and I can mash a crap-ton of grain, even for 9g batches.

Also, place aluminum foil over the mash before closing it up. It helps cut temp-loss.

Back