How important is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewawan

Reaction score
Well, I was wrapping up my second brew (Irish Red Ale) and after an hour of trying to get the wort down to 88 degrees, I pitched the yeast and sealed it. I put the airlock on I filled it to the line. I had to jumped on a plane the next morning so I was able to watch when fermentation begins. When my better half came back into town (about 36 hours later) she said it was bubbling. Making a long story short, when I came home I noticed that the amount of vodka in the airlock wasn't high enough to make the CO2 push the piece up. So when I put a little more vodka in, it continued to bubble normally for another 12 hours.
Did I seriously mess up here, and is the wort oxygenated? Or can I move it to clearing carboy here in the next day or two? If anybody needs further explanations I can but I was just wondering if anyone has been through something similar?

Since it was bubbling when you left it, and it was still bubbling when you refilled the airlock, you are probably safe to assume that the fermentation was pushing a steady stream of CO2 out of the carboy, so no worries. Nothing is likely to have gotten past the CO2 blowing out!

Cheers!:mug:

I once completley forgot to put anything in my airlock,

Lesson to self : Don't get too drunk while homebrewing

I realized about 3 days later, brew turned out great anyway! ;)

Back