Primary Lid blew... Oxidation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GingerFlock

Reaction score
So I brewed up a pumpkin IRS last night and stupidly put a tri-fold valve rather than a blow-off. Needless to say the fermentation blew the lid. I'm curious about y'alls experience - there was a thick krausen, heavy CO2 production, and I sealed it back up with maybe a few hours of leaking. Smells amazing and still proceeding, but have y'all had a similar mishap, and subsequent oxidation?

Furthermore, anything to combat it? Does a high hop help protect against it? I should be clocking in around 90-100 IBUs. Thanks!

You'll be fine. The heavy layer of CO2 above the krausen will prevent any oxygen from coming in contact with your beer. It's very difficult to oxidize a beer during active fermentation.

Don't have any of those fancy programs, I unfortunately do all the math myself. I've attached the Brewtoad site page (wouldn't let me place the excel sheet, if you want it, PM me). I don't have the numbers down for the secondary yet... I don't know how much bourbon will be able to be incorporated into the pumpkin puree until I start mixing. I'll update in a week or two. Holler if you have any questions!

http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/bah-lloween

Latest posts

Back