mash temp suggestion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyc318

Reaction score
Hey all. Doing a belgian pale ale in a few weeks. Target OG is 1.052. Im using white labs Abbey ale with an appropriate starter. Any suggestions on a good mash temp? I want a little body and dont want it to be too dry. Is 154 a good temp? Thanks.

Yeah, 154 is middle of the road. I shoot for 152-155. Are you batch sparging, or fly sparging?

10 gal batch

20# 2-row
1# carapils
.5# caramunich
.5# special B
.25# corn sugar

1oz Perle 8.9% @60 and @30
1 oz Mt Hood 5.9% @1
WLP530 abbey ale

I go no sparge BIAB

My concern is that the Abbey ale might really chew through the sugars and leave it too dry if I mash too low. I've typicall been losing 3-4 degrees over an hour long mash.

I have never used the Abbey ale though.

Don't worry about it going too dry, it's not gonna. There's some chewiness in the recipe.

I'd still hit 152. The first 20 minutes is the most critical time in the mash. So if you can hold that temp for 20 minutes, you're golden. And just as a Belglian Pale fan (my favorite style), next year try White Labs Antwerp Ale. The BEST yeast for Belgian Pales. I keep it going year round!

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I've brewed a Belgian. I wouldn't normally do 10 gal for a first time recipe, but I'm gonna enter it for a local home brewers dinner. If they like it, they need 50 bottles!

I will go for 152. Seems to hold good for the first 20 mins. I usually let it sit solid for 20 mins, then stir every 15 until 75 mins is up. This really helps the efficiency with BIAB. Been getting 75%.

I will def check out the Antwerp ale next time.

So I settled in on 153 for my mash temp. Only dropped 2 degrees in a 75 min BIAB mash. Pitched a starter of WL abbey ale. Its been a week now and the airlock is just now slowing way down. I think this one is going to finish off very well. Ended up with 1.057 OG and about 30 IBUs. Great color. Will pull a sample in a few days and check gravity.

Back