Is this a good deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DZzero15

Reaction score
A buddy of mine offered to sell me the following for ~$150

"- 2 keg homebrew kegging system (w/ 10 pound CO2 tank)

This includes tubing, ball lock disconnects, and dual gauge regulator."

If this not a good deal, what would be a good counter-offer? Are their any other questions I should ask? Can't wait to ditch the bottles and get into kegging! After only 6 batches I'm already sick of bottling.

Also, I'll need to build myself a kegerator of course, correct? Anybody have plans for a two tap system with separate fermentation / lagering chamber?

Cheers
:mug:

If it has a dual regulators i'd say it is a decent deal, but if it only has 1 regulator with a splitter i'd say it's nothing spectacular.

Cornies are approx. $25 each, that leaves $100 for the tank, regulator, and disconnects.

So you'd be saving a little cash on this deal.

I got a three keg system, with the hoses, tubing, etc, and a 5# co2 tank for $220, so I don't think you're getting a great deal. Not bad, but not a great deal.

If it's a dual regulator (two primary regulators), then it's a better deal. But if it's a regular regulator, just with a WYE for the two kegs, those are about $50 new. The kegs are usually $25 each, and the co2 tank might cost $90 new. So, you could get a set up like that new for $200.

Hmmm... I assumed a kegging system would come with kegs. I see your point... and we all know what happens when you assume. I'll get clarification on the kegs and dual regulator. I'll probably throw a counter-offer back of $100.

A quick ebay search confirms my suspicion... not so great a deal.

2 Faucet Homebrew Kegging Kit, Cornelius Keg, 20oz Tank - eBay (item 140329578203 end time Jul-26-09 07:08:09 PDT)

I think ~$100 is fair for a used system.

But, that's not a fair comparison. That ebay kit has only a 20 ounce tank- a little portable paintball tank. A 10# tank will run $90ish new.

I bought my stuff from kegconnection.com. I think it's worth a like to see what the same gear costs new (well, except for the cornies- they are used). New cornies are about $110 each, and definitely NOT worth it! Good used ones that come in kegconnection's kits are fine.

Thanks for the advice. I got the equipment for $125. Dual regulator and 2 kegs included. Goodbye bottling.

:rockin:

Now I have to work on the kegerator... any thoughts? I wanted to build a kind of all in one unit with separate chambers for lagering and fermenting but can't find plans I like.

Wow. This is my favorite set-up so far! Simple enough that I can do it, but with two chambers. Thanks for the link.

Back