Washed yeast viability

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrundleCruncher

Reaction score
I've pitched my starter with my first batch of washed yeast. It was washed three times and was only in the fridge for a week. I took the yeast out two hours before pitching but the wort was warm to the touch, I didn't think it was a big deal, but the yeast isn't doing anything after 4 hrs, and its not staying in suspension at all.

After I shake the container, the yeast will settle out after a couple of minutes, is this a sign of bad yeast or does recycled yeast act weird?
I was so excited for my free yeast:ban: , I hope its not bunk:cross:

I think you need to wait more than 4 hours. Make sure the brew is in the temp range for the yeast and they will surely start.

As long as you temp ranges were not ridiculous you should wake up to vigorously fermenting beer. Everytime I've reused yeast, the lag time has been much less than when I've used pitchable yeast etc.

Good Luck
Al

It was barely warm to the touch, but the yeast really won't stay in suspension at all.:mad: I am legitimately upset.

Eh, both of my thermometers were tied up in fridges (fermenter and kegerator), when I make beer I use an immersion chiller so its never an issue. With my starters I usually leave it in an icebath until for a long time, apparently this time it was not long enough. I guess the issue here isn't yeast viability but me being a ******* and pitching in too hot of wort. I really didn't think it was a problem, I didn't notice until I was done transfering and it just a little warm. Lesson learned.

Latest posts

Back