Beer on tip of a cider yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokyoRoad

Reaction score
Would there be any issues with this?

Currently have 2 batches of cider (one with notty, one with safale) and am wondering about when they are done if there would be any issue with dropping a beer on top of the cake.

I think that I read somewhere that yeast can rapidly lose their ability to ferment maltose (the main sugar in wort) if they are in an environment without a significant amount of maltose (like a cider, for example). You could try, but you might end up having to repitch yeast on top of it anyway.

as long as you get most of the trub out. you may want to try it with a small test batch first though.

I think that I read somewhere that yeast can rapidly lose their ability to ferment maltose (the main sugar in wort) if they are in an environment without a significant amount of maltose (like a cider, for example). You could try, but you might end up having to repitch yeast on top of it anyway.

This is in How to Brew and a couple other books I've read. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it - otherwise, why aren't we just making starters with table sugar to save money?

That is what I was looking for, do you have a source?

As long as you aren't pitching a high gravity beer on it, I don't really see a problem. Maybe the whole simple sugar thing, but I've never really tested that to see if its true. I think its more that you don't want to propagate yeast (as in a starter) with simple sugars. Even if the yeast from the cider cake are a little lazy, there should be more than enough to get the job done.

Back