is the silicone tubing we use a good electrical insulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because the idea popped into my head and I just need to figure out if it would work. The image I have in my head is taking a piece of silicone tubing... it would have to be a pretty big diameter... and stretching it over the element end with the wires coming through the tube. Just a short length, a couple inches at most. The fill the thing with epoxy. That would make a solid end on the element that would be water tight.

I will probably wind up with an electric box on it but the notion got me wondering about the silicone's electrical properties.

because the idea popped into my head and I just need to figure out if it would work. The image I have in my head is taking a piece of silicone tubing... it would have to be a pretty big diameter... and stretching it over the element end with the wires coming through the tube. Just a short length, a couple inches at most. The fill the thing with epoxy. That would make a solid end on the element that would be water tight.

I will probably wind up with an electric box on it but the notion got me wondering about the silicone's electrical properties.

In that case I quess the epoxy would become the insulator?

Just my 2 cents but my old electric kettle just had a small PVC end I drilled a hole in, ran wires through, wired up and filled the inside with epoxy sealing wires inside the PVC and making it all water proof. Only cost a few $$

Yeah, while I applaud the abstract thinking, this just seems like a bad idea to me.

First off, you'd have to have some gargantuan silicon tubing...which you probably wont find locally. The cost of ~1 foot of it plus shipping will likely be more than it would cost you to use PVC couplers.

Also, the PVC will stand up to much more abuse than the silicon will.

The PVC cap worked for me. Just drilled a hole for the wire, another hole to pour in the potting compound and used electric tape to tape it to the element while the potting dried.

On one of my elements I used a 3/4" (i think, could have been 1") PVC connector attached with jb stick and filled it with silicone. It works great. Its a modification of the pol's method.

I probably shouldnt say this, but as long as you have GFI protection the insulation around your elements isnt really all that important...

Back