When to refill CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbx

Reaction score
I bought a kegging setup a little more than a year ago and the regulator is getting into the red (about 500psi tonight). Its a big tank about the same size as a corny keg, maybe 20lb keg? How much more can I get out of it? I'd imagine the pressure will drop really quickly towards the end. Should I get it filled this weekend or wait for it to completely empty?

If you don't have a backup method, I recommend getting it filled BEFORE empty.

Start looking on Craigslist for a good backup tank...my 5# with which I started my setup is mostly there for backup now.

The 10gram keg chargers are also effective in a pinch, albeit costly. However, they are much cheaper than a new tank!

Got a decent scale? Find the Tare Weight stamp (usually somewhere near the neck), remove the regulator and weigh the tank. The difference from the Tare (empty) weight and the scale reading is how much CO2 remains. It's the only sure way to know...

Cheers!

Back